Monday, November 12, 2012

Be the hero!

There's this song by Smash Mouth called Everyday Superhero.  You may have heard the chorus.
          I'm just your average, ordinary, everyday superhero
          Trying to save the world, but never really sure
          I'm just your average, ordinary, everyday superhero
          Nothing more than that
          That's all I really am

I first heard it in the closing credits of Vin Diesel's The Pacifier.  I've been hooked ever since.  It took me awhile to get the words of that first line straight.  lol.  But it's a fun song when I need a little musical help to clean the house.

That chorus is one of my theme songs now.  Because, really, as much as I don't want to think of myself as average or ordinary, I don't have any superpowers.  So I can't stop natural disasters or defeat super villains. I can't leap buildings or make people tell the truth.

But I can make my grandma's day just by calling.  And I can make my niece's birthday awesome because I knew exactly what to get her.  I can make a patient's life a bit easier by getting them in to see the doctor sooner than they thought possible.  And I can make someone's day just by smiling.

There are lots of impossible things that I won't ever be able to do.  But making someone's day is pretty close to being a superhero.  



No comments: