Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Book and Movie Choices

In my three decades or so of life experiences, I've come to a few conclusions about when to read or watch certain things.  Most of the conclusions I've had to come to the hard way.  

Like the time that I watched Walker, Texas Ranger before I went to bed.  There was a serial killer and there was so much blood everywhere and I don't think I slept well for months.  I had nightmares.  I actually haven't watched any Walker since.   

There were the times that I watched NCIS or some other murder mystery too close to bed time and they invaded my dreams.  

And there were the times that I watched some murder mystery at night when I was at home by myself.  I don't think I slept much then, either.

Then there was the time that I read Wuthering Heights during a very gray November.  It was a bad idea.  I was already struggling with depression that fall.  Wuthering Heights just added to that.  

Just recently, I watched Catching Fire and Les Miserables within a week of each other.  Another bad idea.  I should have already learned my lesson.  I hadn't even recovered emotionally from the heart rending that is Catching Fire and I had to go and watch Les Miserables.  Both of these are excellent movies.  And I cried.  And the little bit of my heart that had survived Catching Fire was demolished by Les Miserables.  It took me weeks to recover from that.  Weeks.  

It was worse than when I finished Mockingjay.  

I suppose if you don't get tied up in stories emotionally, then you don't have to worry about all that.  And if your imagination doesn't hear sounds that aren't there or give you nightmares, then you don't have to worry about that, either.  

Because of the way I get wrapped up in story and the vibrancy of my imagination, I have to make different choices with what I read and watch.  No sad movies or books when I'm depressed or have the potential for depression.  No scary or suspenseful movies or books before I go to bed.  And no horror movies or books or TV shows, period.

What about you?  Any books, movies, or TV shows that you've read/watched at the wrong time of day/life?  Any times you've learned the hard way?


No comments: